Department of Trade Unions
Role and Functions of Trade Union Department
- Registration of Trade Unions and their branches
- Registration of Trade Unions Constitutional reviews
- Inspection of Books of Accounts
- Filing of Annual Returns
- To ensure that public services are delivered in accordance with the National Law, Regulations and Policies on daily basis.
- To ensure compliance by the Trade Unions of the Kenyan Constitution, the Labour Relations Act and the Unions Constitution on daily basis.
- To inspect Trade Union Books of Accounts on an annual basis
- To update Union membership records on an annual basis.
- To register new Trade Unions wihin six (6) months
- To respond to correspondences within three (3) days.
Public Services Offered
- Registration and regulation of Trade Unions
- Issue extracts of officials of Trade Unions
- Regulations of Trade Unions
- Registration of the Trade Unions Constitution
- Register changes of officials
- Order for National and Branch election after every five years
- Inspection of Trade Unions Books of Accounts
Citizen Service Delivery Charter
Vision: Organized and accountable Trade Unions
Mission: To provide a healthy regulatory framework for Trade Union activities
- Customer Focus
- Integrity, Transparency and Accountability
- Promotion of best Labour Practices
|Services Rendered/Delivered||Requirements from the Customer||User Charges||Timeliness|
|Registration of Trade Unions and their Branches||Form A for Trade Unions and Form F for Branches||Kshs. 15,000 and Kshs. 3,000 respectively||
-Within 6 months for Trade Unions
-Within 30 days for Branches
|Registration of Trade Unions Constitutional reviews||Form I||Kshs. 750||-Within 60 days|
|Inspection of Books of Accounts||Prescribed books (as per the Labour Relations Act, 2007||None||Annually|
|Filling of Annual Returns||
|Kshs. 2,200||1st April, every year|
- How can one register a Trade Union?
- Which are the registered Trade Unions?
- Charges payable on various applications
- Do you have any Branches outside Nairobi?
- How many registered branches for various Unions?
- The physical and postal addresses of the registered Unions and their branches
Ministry of Labour and East African Community Affairs
Nssf Building, Block ‘A’, Western Wing, 15th Floor
P.O. Box 40326-00100, Nairobi
Tel No. 020 2729800